Honey has been known for its health benefits since the ancient time. In ancient Egypt,honey was used for curing open wounds. Honey contains 80% natural sugar, 18% water and 2% vitamin C, thiamin, niacin and riboflavin. Having 22 types of amino acid and minerals, honey certainly offers a lot of benefits to our body. Although it tastes sweet, honey has the glycemic index that is lower than sugar’s, making it safe for diabetics. Other than these, honey still has other benefits, such as:
1. Helping the digestion system – consuming honey in the morning can reduce calories up to 63%.
2. Substituting sugar – the sweet taste of honey, unlike sugar, does not come with extra calories so honey is a healthier choice to be added to tea.
3. Avoiding excessive eating – consuming honey water or honey lemon tea during or before meals can make us feel full more quickly.
4. Making healthy salad dressings – honey, mixed with olive oil and citrus juice, can make a good dressing for fruit or vegetable salads.
5. Adding flavor to grilled chicken – brushing honey on grilled chicken breast will make a healthy, low-fat, but delicious dish.
6. Reducing the symptoms of diarrhea.
7. Reducing bad cholesterol (LDL), thus minimizing the risk of heart diseases and stroke due to the accumulation of plague in the blood vessels.
8. Improving stamina and preventing allergies.
However, we must remember the saying “Everything in Moderation”. Although honey offers a lot of benefits, we must not consume it excessively because it still contains carbohydrate and calories. Consume it in moderation to avoid the unhealthy increase in your blood glucose level.